Sexual Harassment/Assault Response & Prevention
Sexual Harassment/Assault Response Program (SHARP) is designed to prevent the occurrence of sexual harassment and assault, provide victim advocacy to insure prompt and sensitive care for victims, and encourage reporting of all occurrences by providing reporting options. In meeting these objectives the program will:
- Provide installation commanders with staff assistance which encompasses prevention, response and recovery of sexual assaults.
- Create a climate that reduces incidences of sexual assault through the establishment of sexual assault prevention training and awareness programs to educate Soldiers.
- Create a climate that encourages victims to report incidences of sexual assault without fear.
- Provide sensitive and comprehensive treatment to restore victims' health and well-being.
- Ensure leaders understand their roles and responsibilities regarding response to sexual assault incidences.
Role of the Sexual Assault Response Coordinator
The Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC) is considered the center of gravity when it comes to ensuring that victims of sexual assault receive appropriate and responsive care. They serve as the single point of contact to coordinate sexual assault victim care. The term Sexual Assault Response Coordinator (SARC) is a standardized term utilized throughout the Department of Defense and the Services to facilitate communication and transparency regarding sexual assault response capability.
Role of the Victim Advocate
The Victim Advocate (VA) provides essential support and care to the victim to include providing non-clinical information on available options and resources to assist the victim in making informed decisions as they progress through resolution and healing. The VA maintains communications and contact with victim as needed for continued victim support.
Emergency: Dial 911
Fort McCoy Sexual Assault Hotline: 608-388-5000
Fort McCoy Sexual Assault Response coordinator (SARC)/SHARP Specialist: 608-388-3246
Fort McCoy Alternate SARC/SHARP Specialist: 608-388-2441
Brighter Tomorrows: Sparta 608-269-7853; Tomah 608-374-6975
DoD Safe Helpline: 1-877-995-5247
National Domestic Abuse Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233)
Rape Abuse and Incest National Network (RAINN): 1-800-656-HOPE (4673)