Fort McCoy News July 13, 2018

This month in Fort McCoy history

75 years ago — July 3, 1943

An Army Silver Star Medal, the first to be awarded a Soldier at Camp McCoy, was awarded to Pvt. Charles E. Fogle, 6th Service Command Training Center, for “gallantry in action” on Guadalcanal.

The medal was awarded for his lone heroism in wiping out a machine gun nest of 10 Japanese who were sweeping the entrance to a pass with fire. An advance scout whose job was to clean the jungle of snipers before advancing troops behind, Fogle was also cited for his sharpshooting of tree-hiding Japanese.

60 Years Ago — July 19, 1958

The Fifth U.S. Army Radio and Television Team, came to Camp McCoy to film men undergoing annual training. Action was the word, then the camera filed that action of soldiers undergoing various phases of training such as squad tactics, in defense or attack, or the might of the artillery as they “lay in” on a target.


ROTC cadets from Knox College in Galesburg, Ill., assemble and
disassemble an M2 Browning Automatic Rifle on July 21, 1951, at then-
Camp McCoy.
File photo

The team filmed Soldiers and units in the field. The film was then rushed to Kansas City, Mo., where trained technicians promptly processed it for immediate release to hometown TV stations.

This was part of the Army Information Plan to inform hometown civilians of the intense training received by all National Guard and Reserve personnel during their summer encampment at Camp McCoy.

50 Years Ago — July 11, 1968

Col. Joseph E. Venables, commanding officer, Camp McCoy, presented the Silver Star Medal and the Bronze Star Medal to 1st Lt. Philip J. Hallisy, range officer at Camp McCoy. Hallisy received these awards for heroism and meritorious service in Vietnam.

The Silver Star Medal was for action on June 5, 1967, when Hallisy led his platoon of 15 men from Company C, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Infantry through the jungles of South Vietnam on a reconnaissance mission. The platoon finally routed out the enemy forces and overtook the enemy position.

Hallisy received the Bronze Star Medal for his outstanding meritorious service in connection with ground operations against a hostile force in Vietnam during the period April 1967 to April 1968.

30 Years Ago — July 20, 1978

Soldiers of the 1138th Engineer Battalion got a “bang” out of annual training on the Range 30 demolitions range. Demolitions were one of the many highlights for their annual training at Fort McCoy. The 1138th also participated in engineering projects; the largest project involved construction of bridges. They built metal float bridges, Bailey bridges, and wooden trestle bridges.

20 Years Ago — July 15, 1988

Two battalions of the 14th Marine Regiment, 1,800 Marines and Sailors, got an unusual chance to train together for two weeks at Fort McCoy.

The regiment has units located throughout the continental United States; the regiment is the only Marine Reserve artillery unit in the country and, with five battalions, is also the largest reserve regiment in the Marine Corps.

The regiment’s training focused on both individual and unit skills.

The basic individual military training included instruction and testing on such skills as camouflage and concealment; map reading; and nuclear, biological, and chemical techniques.

20 Years Ago — July 2, 1998

Activities at Fort McCoy’s Pine View Recreation Area slowly returned to normal after the area was damaged by a June storm. The camping areas were closed from June 28 to July 2.

On July 2, the 47 sites on the campground’s third circle were reopened; the second circle, which has 28 campsites, reopened July 10; and the first circle, with the remaining 40 sites, reopened July 17.

The beach and picnic shelter area also were reopened. The nature trail, which suffered extensive damage, remained closed.

10 Years Ago — July, 2008

Fort McCoy took steps to obtain a federal trademark registration to protect its intellectual property rights in the Triad logo. The Triad logo includes the unique depiction of the triangular shape of the cantonment area at Fort McCoy. Fort McCoy was the only U.S. Army installation to be laid out in such a configuration.

Federal registration of the Triad logo signifies that the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office has concluded that Fort McCoy holds the exclusive right to use the Triad logo in connection with products, services, and events.

Fort McCoy’s ownership of the federal trademark registration of the Triad logo enables the installation to control how the logo is used and those who are authorized to use it.

   (Article prepared by the Fort McCoy Public Affairs Office from historical archives.)