Fort McCoy News April 28, 2017

This month in Fort McCoy history

Shoppers check out the new Fort McCoy Commissary after it opened its doors April 10, 2007, in building 1537.
Shoppers check out the new Fort McCoy Commissary after it opened
its doors April 10, 2007, in building 1537.
File photo

70 Years Ago — April 7, 1947

Col. Newton G. Bush, post commander since May 1946, departed from Camp McCoy on April 7 for his new assignment as post commander of Fort Sheridan, Ill. Lt. Col. Oliver W. Schantz, former post executive officer, assumed the duties of post commander, succeeding Bush.

30 Years Ago — April 24, 1987

A safety investigation board, convened by the commander, 12th Air Force, Bergstrom Air Force Base, Texas, continued to investigate the fatal March 27 crash of an Air National Guard A-10 jet aircraft at Fort McCoy. The A-10 tactical Fighter jet belonged to the 176th Tactical Squadron, 128th Tactical Fighter Wing, at Truax Field in Madison, Wis.

20 Years Ago — April 24, 1997

Members of the Fort McCoy workforce packed into McCoy's on April 24 to help celebrate the grand opening of the new state-of-the art entertainment/food facility at Fort McCoy. McCoy's, the newest morale, welfare and recreation facility, features an eight-lane bowling center, four 8-foot video screens, NTN trivia, a golf simulator, and Primo's Express snack bar.

10 Years Ago — April 10, 2007

The new Fort McCoy Commissary, building 1537, opened its doors to serve authorized military customers. The new 15,000-square foot facility was built at a cost of $4.2 million.

   (Article prepared by the Fort McCoy Public Affairs Office from the Triad and The Real McCoy archives.)