Fort McCoy News Jan. 27, 2017

This month in Fort McCoy history

Soldiers associated with Task Force Frost at Fort McCoy in January 1947 show “new” winter equipment and uniforms in use by the Army at the time.
Soldiers associated with Task Force Frost at Fort McCoy in
January 1947 show "new" winter equipment and uniforms
in use by the Army at the time.
File photo

70 Years Ago — Jan. 13-15, 1947

The long-awaited for Induction Station opened at Camp McCoy, Wis. The operation transferred from Fort Snelling, Minn. Approximately 24 men per day were processed; the average time at McCoy was three days, then shipped to training centers within the United States in accordance with the branch of service for which enlisted.

30 Years Ago — Jan. 23, 1987

Approximately 370 pieces of heavy engineering equipment from units throughout the Midwest were marshalled here, staged, and later rail-loaded out on 120 railroad cars destined for port in Mobile, Ala., where the equipment was loaded on a ship bound for Honduras as part of Blazing Trails 87-Honduras, a reserve-component exercise.

20 Years Ago — Jan. 24, 1997

Directorate of Public Works Director Darrell Neitzel received the Meritorious Civilian Service Award; one of the highest awards a civilian employee can receive. Neitzel was honored for his efforts in a wide variety of areas ranging from Total Quality improvements to environmental and conservation efforts, such as the post receiving the USA Tree City Award for seven consecutive years.

10 Years Ago — Jan. 26, 2007

Another permanent cellular tower was installed at Fort McCoy to help improve cellular telephone and BlackBerry coverage. The tower served Nextel and Cingular customers. The installation also had another permanent tower, installed in 2004 which served Sprint, ALLTEL and US Cellular customers.

   (Prepared by the Fort McCoy Public Affairs Office.)