History Center Archives
Winter training ...
Working in snow, Cpl. Arthur Marino (Beeville, Texas) Battery A,
12th Field Artillery, 2nd Infantry Division, U.S. First Army,
traces a broken field wire for splicing during training in
December 1944. As 2009 winds down, Fort McCoy is concluding its
commemoration of “A Century of Service to America.”
On this date ...
Dec. 5, 1942: Service Club Libraries were opened.
Dec. 12, 1942: Women civilians appeared on post as
Dec. 19, 1942: Bus service started within camp area.
Al Kavelin’s band made first national broadcast from McCoy.
Dec. 25, 1942: McCoy’s 11 Army chapels dedicated.
Dec. 4, 1943: 5,000 Soldiers heard tri-faith forum
Maj. Milton H. Lyons named post signal chief.
McCoy acclaims “surrender or die” terms to Japanese.
Dec. 18, 1943: “It’s the McCoy” cheered by 7,500 in
Milwaukee; 8,000 turned away.
The 707th Tank Battalion arrived for training.
Dec. 24, 1943: “It’s the McCoy” opened war bond tour.
Supply division streamlined.
Dec. 31, 1943: “It’s the McCoy” expected to net $5
McCoy set pace in safety over six-month span.
Dec. 9, 1944: “It’s the McCoy” betters $2
million as bond tour starts.
Dec. 23, 1944: “It’s the McCoy” tour ends. Raised $8
The 2nd Division was credited with saving the 1st Army in
the Ardennes battle.
Dec. 6, 1950: Unification of the armed forces was
never more apparent than when six young Navy doctors were
assigned to the station hospital at Camp McCoy recently.
Since the Army had a critical shortage of medical personnel
and the Navy had 1,400 medical officers in its reserve,
former Secretary of Defense Johnson directed the Navy to
loan a number of these officers to the Army with the
understanding that they would be returned when they could be
replaced by Army personnel.