History Center Archives
Weapons training ...
Sgt. Frank D. Wippler, Rq. Co., 109th TT Bn.,
instructs a class on the fine points of operating a .30-caliber
machine gun Nov. 6, 1950. The personnel from headquarters
devoted one-half the day to basic training like this, and the
other half to paper work. The class was held in the company’s
day room. Fort McCoy is celebrating “A Century of Service to
America” during 2009.
On this date ...
Nov. 19, 1926: The War Department (General Orders No.
22) announced the reappointment of the Sparta Military
Reservation as Camp McCoy “in honor of Maj. Gen. Robert
Bruce McCoy,” Wisconsin National Guard. McCoy, 58, died Jan.
5, 1926 due to pernicious anemia.
Nov. 1942: The 2nd Infantry Division arrived and
trained through the fall of 1943.
Nov. 20, 1942: First United Services Organization
show pleases McCoy.
Post cafeterias were opened.
Nov. 20, 1943: New McCoy bus station opened.
More than 3,000 victory ideas submitted.
WAC show big hit in La Crosse for recruiting.
Nov. 18, 1944: A $50,000 war bond goal was set for
Nov. 25, 1944: The “It’s the McCoy” show was
“drafted” for a state war bond tour.
Nov. 26, 1950: It was a great time for paraplegic
veterans at Camp McCoy when McCoy officers and men joined
with veteran groups of the area to be hosts to the disabled
men for a deer hunt. The hunt, believed to be the first of
its kind anywhere, was a success, with the men promising
“repeats” in the future.
Nov. 1952: The Army announced plans to shut down Camp