History Center Archives
The riot control squad, all members of the 115th
Engineer Construction Battalion, advances on an unruly mob in a
wedge formation designed to scatter the group. The full dress
rehearsal was staged Oct. 5, 1951, at Camp McCoy. Fort McCoy is
observing “A Century of Service to America” throughout 2009.
On this date ...
Oct. 16, 1942: 1,500,000 pounds of scrap were
collected at McCoy.
Oct. 30, 1942: Col. MacMullin inaugurated industrial
and military safety program at Camp McCoy.
The west Guest House for visitors was opened.
All camp theaters were expected to be operating in the next
Oct. 30, 1943: McCoy trained 100th Infantry battalion
troops spearheaded the Battle of Italy.
Scrap hunt under way at McCoy.
Oct. 28, 1944: Two McCoy officers, Capt. Louis Day
and Lt. Frank Ray, saved the government $25,000 through the
waterproofing method for gas mask carriers.
Oct. 11, 1950: Camp McCoy’s first selective recruits,
assigned to 465th Field Artillery of Minot, N.D., arrived.
Oct. 30, 1950: The Soldiers at Camp McCoy could call
anywhere in the U.S. and overseas from the new telephone
center. The center had nine soundproof booths. An attendant
took down the information about the call and then gave it to
a switchboard operator who got Tomah, which had direct lines
to Milwaukee, Madison and Minneapolis. In addition to the
center, 27 unattended pay stations were scattered throughout
October 1951: A reassignment and separation center
was reactivated at Camp McCoy. Before the center closed its
doors in Jan. 1953, over 15,000 men were separated from
service and another 18,000 men had been reassigned to other
Oct. 27, 1952: Discharges for 100 civilian workers at
Camp McCoy were cancelled. The employees were kept on the
payroll. Another 80, who were discharged under the civilian
employment cutback, have gone into private jobs and will not
be replaced, according to Franklin Skogstad, civilian
Oct. 19, 1990: Bob Hope performs for 2,000 Soldiers in La