History Center Archives
Back in the '50s ...
Pfc. D.H. Oatlund,
instructor, teaches the first class in the C.W. Radio School at
Camp McCoy in October 1950. The installation recently had been
activated after being closed for several years following World
War II. Fort McCoy is celebrating a “Century of Service to
America” throughout 2009.
On this date ...
Oct. 2, 1942: Furnishing
of 160 day rooms was planned.
Gas rationing was being discussed.
Oct. 9, 1942: McCoy’s scrap-drive was saving
thousands of dollars. Service Clubs opened at the new camp,
and Mrs. Pearl F. Dawson arrived from Fort Custer as the
newest senior hostess.
Lt. Col. Harry R- Brown arrived as new Post Executive
Soldiers were permitted to use cameras “with discretion.”
Oct. 2, 1943: The 1650 service unit training center
moved to Fort Sheridan. The 24th Hospital Center activated.
Oct. 7, 1943: The 76th Infantry Division arrives.
Oct. 5, 1945: The last of the Japanese POWs depart.
First Job Corps trainees arrive.
Job Corps Training Center opened at Camp McCoy. At full
capacity there were 1,700 men at the center and a staff of
630. A 25 percent drop out rate was expected. The program
trained teenage boys from low-income families in vocational,
technical and social skills
Oct. 14, 1949: Camp McCoy closed down following an
extensive summer training program of over 30,000 Reserve and
National Guard troops. The post would be manned with 60
Oct. 10, 1980: Cuban refugee population numbers 305.
Support personnel numbers 91 Army, 1,024 temporary