On this date ...
July 1909: The
first telegraph (wireless) message sent into the city of St.
Paul was dispatched from Camp Robinson.
July 1941: The
War Department authorized a preliminary survey of the
expansion of Camp McCoy. The engineering firm of Mead, Ward,
and Hunt of Madison conducted the site survey and drew the
design plans for the "New Camp" (the current-day
cantonment area.) The survey work began. The plans were
completed and sent to the War Department in November. The
"triad" layout of design was used primarily to allow
troop units to live and train together without being crowded
by other units, yet close enough to operate efficiently under
July 24, 1942: First
issue of The Real McCoy was published ó Capt. E. E.
Schroeder, editor. Camp McCoy consisted only of the Old Camp,
Col. George M. MacMullin had replaced Lt. Col. Distelhorst as
Camp Commander a month before. The 100th Infantry Battalion
made up of Japanese from Hawaii had just moved into Camp
July 15, 1952: Two
of the homes being constructed in the Lemonweir Parkway
development were open for public inspection over the weekend.
The development, which eventually provided a total of 66
homes, was in the process of construction, with 54 homes to be
completed as quickly as possible. The project was authorized
by the Federal Housing Administration, which recognized Tomah
as a critical defense area in need of housing.
July 15, 1964: Jon
Provost, aka Timmy Martin of the Lassie Show, became an
honorary Camp McCoy Colonel during a visit to Camp McCoy.