On this date ...
12, 1943: First Women’s Auxiliary Army Corps recruit
enlisted at Camp McCoy. Japanese war prisoners interned at
22, 1945: Lt. Robert J. MacMullin, a prisoner of war in
Germany, returned to McCoy and described life under the Nazis.
1947: Camp McCoy was placed on inactive status. Reserve
and National Guard units still used it as a summer training
camp during the next few years.
15, 1951: Aided by Company "B" of the 645th
Engineer Combat Battalion, the 317th Pontoon Bridge company
pushed its 713 foot M-4 Pontoon bridge across the backwater of
Castle Rock lake between Necedah and Mauston last week. During
the exercise, the two companies put up the bridge under the
cover of darkness so the VI Corps Artillery could move across
the lake. Actual construction of the bridge took about 14
hours. Ten hours after the bridge was completed, the
night-working engineers began dismantling it.
19, 1952: Anthony P. Gawronski, director of the Federal
Housing Administration (FHA) of Wisconsin, announced the
approval of applications for relaxation of credit restrictions
of properties to be constructed in the Camp McCoy critical
defense housing area. Fifty-two were in Tomah and 32 in
The first construction work on the FHA housing project in
Sparta began when excavation started for the footings on two
houses on the Roger Hilliker property on the northeast edge of
the city. Hilliker expected that the first units would be
ready for occupancy by August.
The city began laying sewer to serve the new project and would
have all facilities in readiness by the time construction is
Fort McCoy received one of the largest reserve-component
equipment demobilization/repair missions in the Army. The
mission, called Operation Desert Fix, gave the installation
responsibility for the inventory, inspection, repair and
return of more than 5,800 pieces of equipment.