[ The Real McCoy Online Home ]
From Our History Files ...

Throughout 2009, Fort McCoy will celebrate a Century of Service to America. Each issue of The Real McCoy Online will feature a historical photo and tidbits of history from our past.

Photo: Brig. Gen. Frederic B. Butler (second from left) takes command at Camp McCoy May 24, 1951. Butler served as Camp McCoy commander through Feb. 6, 1952. Fort McCoy is celebrating "A Century of Service" throughout 2009. (History Center Photo)
History Center Photo

New commander ...

Brig. Gen. Frederic B. Butler (second from left) takes command at Camp McCoy May 24, 1951. Butler served as Camp McCoy commander through Feb. 6, 1952. Fort McCoy is celebrating "A Century of Service" throughout 2009.

On this date ...

May 24, 1915: Battery A, of the third Field Artillery U.S. Army reached Camp Robinson completing a 280 mile "hike" from Fort Sheridan. Observers noted the Soldiers failed to show the slightest bit of fatigue from their journey as they entered the camp for training.

May 15, 1919: The 350 Soldiers at Camp Robinson were to be replaced by civilians, according to Lt. Karl L. Theilscher, a Camp Robinson officer. Many young men and boys were finding employment at Camp Robinson sealing up the stables to provide storage space. Uncle Sam fed them for 90 cents a day. They worked eight hours a day and were making a good wage during vacation.

May 22, 1943: Boy Scouts planted trees at Camp McCoy.

May 13, 1944: Maj. Gen. WM. R. Schmidt gave 76th "battle" talk. McCoy opened baseball season by whipping Goobers.

May 18, 1945: A photo by Pfc. Harold was judged the best in the command contest.

May 22, 1945: Three Japanese POWs escape.

May 23, 1952: The influx of Camp McCoy families was definitely reflected in the vital statistics for Monroe County received this week by County Clerk Edwin G. Monick. A total of 343 marriages were performed and births numbered 1,063. Sparta High School was awarded $10,712 in federal aid for the 1951-52 school year as compensation for the extra burden it is assuming by the influx of Camp McCoy families.

May 14, 1967: Members of the Women’s Army Corps at Camp McCoy joined with WACs throughout the world in commemorating the silver anniversary of the Corps.

May 12, 1980: Fort McCoy received Cuban Refugee Operation funding guidance.

May 16, 1980: Fort McCoy commander (Col. William J. Moran) received Department of the Army message subject: Selection of additional refugee facilities, which tasked FORSCOM commander to establish a 15,000-capacity refugee facility at Fort McCoy by May 29.

May 14, 1999: U.S. State Department inspectors check Fort McCoy for possible Kosovo refugee mission.

[ Top of Page ]

[ The Real McCoy Online Home ]