On this date ...
May 5, 1910: The
War Department issued order number 79 providing for military
training on the reservation during the summer, including
maneuvers on an extended scale. This order required that all
infantry troops must march at least 200 miles to reach the
city of Sparta or returning to their stations, the cavalry and
artillery were required to march 250 miles.
May 6, 1915: Battery
A, of Fort Houston, Texas left that city arriving at Camp
Robinson after a 1,527 mile journey. The battery consists of
150 men, 123 horses and 16 mules.
May 1, 1943: 2nd
Infantry Division undergoes realistic battle training.
May 8, 1943: Women’s
Auxiliary Army Corps detachment activated at McCoy.
May 6, 1944: Women’s
Army Corps detachment celebrated first anniversary. McCoy
topped county quota in Salvation Army drive.
May 11, 1945: McCoy
was designated as a reception and separation center.
May 8, 1952: Brig.
Gen. Eugene Harrison assumed command of Camp McCoy for the
summer training exercises. He formerly was commandant of the
Army general school at Fort Riley, Kan.
May – July 1965:
During the months of May, June, and July Camp McCoy
vehicles from the
Motor Pool traveled 502,625 miles using 43,492 gallons of gas.
May 12, 1967:
More than 1,700 early-season anglers descended on the lakes
and streams of Camp McCoy.
May 9, 1980: Message
received from U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM) requesting
information concerning Fort McCoy’s capability to support
Cuban Refugee Operation. Fort McCoy initiated a capability
assessment with respect to support the Cuban Refugee