2018-19 Fort McCoy Guide

Building 35 a first stop for many

Building 35, located at Fort McCoy's Main Gate, is the first stop for many Fort McCoy visitors. It is home to Visitor Control Operations, the ID Card Section, the Soldier For Life-Retirement Services Office, and the Soldier For Life-Transition Assistance Program.

Inside, customers also can find valuable information, including the installation guide and copies of the post newspaper, The Real McCoy. There also are restrooms available for visitor use.

To access building 35, off-post visitors will take State Highway 21 to the Main Gate entrance and should make a right turn into the parking lot located just before the gate checkpoints.

Visitor Control Operations

Visitor Control Center
Visitor Control Center

Visitor Control Operations is a section of the Directorate of Emergency Services – Physical Security Division that issues visitor passes. Each adult occupant of a vehicle who does not have a valid military ID card or Common Access Card (CAC) or is not enrolled in RapidGate and carrying the required identification must have a valid photo ID and will be cleared through National Crime Information Center Interstate Identification Index (NCIC-III).

Visitor Control Operations is open weekdays, excluding federal holidays. After regular operation hours, visitors can be issued a pass at the Main Gate or Gate 20. Personnel also can provide directions to on-post locations.

Vehicle drivers are reminded they must have a valid driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance in the vehicle, as is required by Wisconsin law. For more information, see the personnel at building 35 or call 608-388-2000.

ID Card Section

Fort McCoy's Personnel Services Branch ID Card/Defense Enrollment Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS) Section is open from 7:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. The office also may be closed at other times due to computer network issues or other work-related requirements.

Prior to any visit, customers should call 608-388-4563 to verify the ID Section is operational, as well as to verify which documents will be required to get an ID card or make any changes to DEERS.

The office can issue ID cards for members of all branches of service — active- or reserve-component, retirees, and dependents — as well as Department of Defense civilian employees and contractors. Two valid forms of identification, one of which must contain a photo, are required for issuance of an ID card. Examples of valid identification are: a military/civilian/contractor/dependent ID card, a driver's license, a state-issued identification card, a Social Security card, a birth certificate, or a passport. A full list of acceptable forms of identification can be found online at http://cac.mil/docs/List_of_Acceptable_Documents.pdf or through the Fort McCoy DEERS office.

All forms of identification used to fulfill the requirement for the initial issuance of an ID card must be current (unexpired) to be considered valid. For renewal of ID cards for retirees, DOD civilians, and contractors, all forms of ID must be current (unexpired) to be considered valid. For renewal of ID cards for military members or dependents, an expired CAC or dependent card may be used as a secondary form of ID; all other ID must be current (unexpired).

Dependents obtaining ID cards must be accompanied by his/her sponsor, or a valid power-of-attorney document must be supplied. The sponsor also may sign a Department of Defense Form 1172-2 (Application for Identification Card/DEERS Enrollment) in advance, either in person at the office or online with a CAC at the RAPIDS Self Service website (https://www.dmdc.osd.mil/self_service) after creating an account. Military dependents who are age 18 or older need two unexpired forms of ID to receive a new ID card.

Active-duty service members and service members reaching retirement age also must have orders/contracts with them when obtaining ID cards.

Adding a spouse or child to DEERS requires presentation of original documents (marriage certificates, birth certificates, driver licenses, and Social Security cards). If a sponsor previously was divorced, divorce papers (and a Department of Defense Form 214 if in retired status) are required.

For lost or stolen CACs, military personnel must provide a counseling statement or police report along with two valid IDs to receive a new CAC. Civilian/contract personnel who need to replace a lost or stolen CAC must provide a memorandum from their supervisor (available from the ID Card Section) or a police report and two valid IDs.

Soldier For Life-Retirement Services Office

The Soldier For Life-Retirement Services Office provides information on benefits and entitlements to active-duty service members and Families as well as retired service members and their Families. Walk-in visitors are welcome; however, appointments are encouraged.

The office is open from 7:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, excluding federal holidays. The office is closed on Wednesday. Call 608-388-3716 locally or 800-452-0923 toll free for more information.