Installation Support Offices
Installation Legal Office
The Fort McCoy Installation Legal Office provides a variety of legal services to the Fort McCoy command and military community. Claims services and assistance are available to the general public only when a member of the public or an organization is involved in an incident involving financial loss caused by a member of the Army or Department of the Army civilian employee while on official duty.
Eligible legal-assistance clientele may* include:
- Active-component servicemembers and dependants.
- Reserve-component members (and dependants) if serving for more than 29 days, or in emergencies.
- Active Army and reserve-component members (and dependants) who are receiving military retirement or disability pay.
- Surviving family members of active-component, reserve-component, and retired members of the Armed Forces of the United States who would be eligible for legal assistance if the servicemember or retiree were alive.
- Department of Defense civilian employees in limited circumstances; please call for further guidance.
- Members of other military forces (and dependants) while serving in the United States.
- Fiduciaries (for example, those holding a Power of Attorney) appointed by active-component, reserve-component or civilian employees who are serving in a combat zone.
(* Please note that legal-assistance services to all but active-duty personnel may be limited/denied when a determination is made that inadequate staffing or facilities limit the ability to provide services.)
Types of legal assistance provided include notaries/powers of attorney; wills/estates; advance medical directives/living wills; military administrative matters; tax services (Military Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Center); and guidance on consumer law, landlord/tenant, separation/divorce/support/custody, the Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA) and the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA).
Criminal matters (military or civilian) and private commercial/business matters are not within the scope of authorized legal assistance.
Legal Office business hours are from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday, excluding federal holidays. Appointments for legal assistance may be scheduled by telephone during those hours. Appointments are available Mondays through Thursdays from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Notary walk-in times are Wednesdays and Fridays from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. and Tuesdays and Thursdays from 3 p.m. to 4 p.m. If coming from a distance, it is always advisable to call first to ensure that someone is available to assist you since this schedule cannot account for all vacations, sick leave or mission requirements.
The Fort McCoy Installation Legal Office is located in building 1644, across the street from Fort McCoy's Commissary.